Thursday, February 01, 2007

It's About That Time


"The hardest thing to understand in the world is the income tax."
-Albert Einstein

In honor of the tax season I offer two excellent selections on complete opposite scales of presentation. The Beatles' "Taxman" comes from their Revolver album which many would argue to be the best album ever recorded. Song for song, I'd say Abbey Road is a stronger recording but I'm a late bloomer to the British invasion and didn't really begin diving into their albums until the mid 90's. But damn! Revolver's tracklist stacks hit after hit. The album boasts records like "Got To Get You Into My Life", "Good Day Sunshine", Eleanor Rigby" and "Yellow Submarine". But my favorite is "Taxman" simply because it has one of the slickest basslines I've heard. But moreover, for the sake of this posts theme, it's the taxpayer's lament.

"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street.
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat.
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet."

Walt Dickerson's "Death & Taxes" from This Is Walt Dickerson! is a completely different mood. Rather than sounding morose as one might expect given the title, Dickerson's work on the vibes is playful and upbeat. This tune is classy and pleasant, despite the somber title. Dickerson is a master on every shimmering track of this fantastic album.

Since April 15th falls on a Sunday this year, you've technically got an extra day...Celebrate.

The Beatles: "Taxman"
Walt Dickerson: "Death & Taxes"