Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Brooklyn's Finest You Rewind This


B.I.G's Life After Death had way too much filler to be considered a better overall album than his debut. Delete half the tracks on it and maybe it would have been a more complete piece of work. Regardless, you can't deny that the Notorious one delivered some of the most vivid and memorable punchlines recorded to date. Who cares if some of his tracks were duds?

But lets not talk about Biggie duds.

"I Got A Story Tell" has been a B.I.G. favorite of mine because he really puts his storytelling talents to work on this one. Not only does the track simmer (I'm 99.9% sure Buckwild lifted the drum break from Al Green's "I'm Glad You're Mine"), Frank Whizza's flow over this Buckwild produced jewel is just uncanny. He does it without effort, like he just got back from the pad with his Prada napsack full of paper. I especially like the end as he summarizes his heist with members of his crew, describing the details of what he just kicked in his rhyme.