Sunday, October 02, 2005

Fall Like Autumn Leaves


Fall is upon us. The days are getting shorter and cooler and, I don't know, maybe it's the night air that's got me thinking of something comfortable and cozy. I've been leaning on a couple of songs with falls approach, both by Neil Young. I haven't listened to his latest album Prairie Wind yet but these are two outstanding acoustic live songs from Young that come to mind when I think of his music.
"Harvest Moon"- from Neil Young Unplugged
"Cowgirl In The Sand"- from Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young- 4-Way Street

"Harvest Moon" is probably my favortite Neil Young song and this live version from his Unplugged session from MTV is outstanding . I've always liked his acoustic performances. Not because I'm a fanatic for acoustic performances in general, but Neil Young's sets have always been very humble and listenable, not overplayed. This is one of those songs when you turn it on, you just want to jump into it. Great melody and lyrics.

"Cowgirl In The Sand" is from CSNY's live album 4-Way Street. This version of Neil Young's live acoustic performance is a close second to "Harvest Moon" and it's good to hear both songs side to side. Like "Harvest Moon", it's a song that's really driven by the melody and the intimate feel of an acoustic set. Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of Young's whiney howl of a vocal delivery, but hey, it's Neil Young. Very cool listening nonetheless.